Utility Maintenance Department
2600 W Hereford Lane
McAlester, OK 74501
Ph: (918) 423-9300
After Hours Emergency:
Ph: (918) 423-1212
Monday - Friday
8:00 am - 5:00 pm
The Utility Maintenance branch of the Utilities Department is responsible for maintaining 170 miles of water line and 143 miles of sewer line. This branch is led by Chad Kelly, Utility Maintenance Superintendent.
The Utility Maintenance Branch employs one foreman, three heavy equipment operators, and five utility men.
This group makes up four crews. Three of the four crews consist of one operator and one utility man.
The fourth crew consist of two utility men and is designated for servicing water meters.
These four crews are responsible for different repairs and maintenance around the City, which include the following services that are provided for the City of McAlester residents:
- Repair of water breaks on public properties
- Relocation of water meters and service lines
- Investigation of low water pressure
- Fire hydrant repair, replacement, and preventive maintenance
- Investigation of sanitary sewer odors
- Smoke testing and removal of sanitary sewer blockages and overflows
- Cleaning and repairing of sanitary sewer lines
- Restoration of public and private property after repair of water and sewer lines
- Installation of new city water meters
- Locating city water and sewer lines for Oklahoma One Call System
The Utility Maintenance Operators and Utility Men repair over 300 main water breaks a year and maintain over 7,000 water meters per year. They also flush and maintain over 500 sewer lines per year and 840 fire hydrants.
When to Contact:
The Utility Maintenance Department has a crew on call 24-hours a day for emergency situations. The City of McAlester requests that you only use this service if you have an emergency. The following conditions would be considered an emergency:
- City sewer over flowing or blocked
- City water main break (with a large amount of water being lost). This does NOT include a meter leak or a small leak that is bubbling water. This needs to be reported the following business day
- Resident that needs water shut off due to a water break
- Resident has no water